Honeywell thermostat is the most well recognized and well-known brand of thermostats in the market. And of course, it does live up to its reputation it is actually one of the best in the business.
Yet, all of the latest and the best technological products do need maintenance and taking care of once in a while. Hence if you have also been using the Honeywell thermostat for a while now it’s good to check the batteries and settings to ensure it is working according to your needs.
More often than not the problems with the functioning of the thermostat can be identified by the change in the home temperature or the energy bills rising or being inconsistent. If you have caught such an issue it means that your Honeywell thermostat needs to be reset.
Why does the Honeywell thermostat require a reset?
There are several issues that a small little reset will fix and you will not have to worry about anything for a long time. Some of these issues are mentioned below:
- Your thermostat connects to your air conditioning and furnace units, hence if either of them is not performing correctly. Resetting your Honeywell thermostat will help repair the problem and work in more sync in the future.
- Sometimes the programming of the thermostat can also be disrupted and the settings can fluctuate the proper working. Hence when you reset your Honeywell thermostat all of the programming issues get resolved and your thermostat starts working smoothly again.
- Again one of the biggest tells of a thermostat not working correctly is the inconsistency of the bills and the temperature readings. Hence resetting the thermostat gets rids of these issues as well.
Now that we know the benefits of resetting your Honeywell thermostat the next best thing to do is to understand how to do it. Hence, if you are wondering how to do it then let us guide you through the process and help you figure out what to do.
Which model of Honeywell thermostat do I own?
This is the big question and this is the main aspect that will help you determine how to reset your Honeywell thermostat. Generally, the model number of the thermostat can be found on the back of the product, all you need to do is remove it from the wall and read the back to find the model number.
Generally removing the thermostat from the wall can be a very easy process as it requires you to lift from both sides and the wall mount gives away very quickly.
Another way to find out the model number is by searching for the product packaging, if you still have it, you will be able to locate the model number. Even the documentation that arrives with the product also carries the model number of the thermostat. So finding the model number should not be too much troublesome. Another way to find the model number can be to use the internet and find the model number based on the design and the product look.
How to reset the Honeywell thermostat?
Now that you know the model number and you have all the details you need about the thermostat. It’s time to reset it, and in order to do that, you need to follow the steps mentioned below.
If you have a battery-powered thermostat the following steps will apply to your scenario:
- The first thing would turn off the thermostat manually.
- Once it has been turned off, now you can safely remove the batteries from the unit.
- Now, this next step is a bit odd but it works. You need to place the batteries in the opposite direction, so you will now insert your batteries positive to negative and negative to positive.
- Once you have placed your batteries in the opposite directions, now you must wait for at least 10 seconds before doing anything else.
- After the 10-second time is over, remove the batteries and place them in the right order.
- This process will reset your thermostat to the factory settings and you will then be able to restore it to your desired settings.
Some models of the Honeywell thermostat do not use batteries so be mindful of what model do you have and does it use batteries or not.
An intriguing question that is most often asked is how to replace the Honeywell batteries? So let us walk you through that process as well.
- Some of the Honeywell thermostats come with tabs on the bottom and the top and you can easily find them. Once you have located the tabs it becomes very easy to remove the faceplate.
- Another way to do it would be to apply firm pressure on the faceplate from either side and it will lift off easily.
- When replacing the batteries take note of what batteries are required for this model. Such as most Honeywell thermostats use either triple-A that is AAA or double-A that is AA batteries. Hence when removing the batteries you will be able to figure out which ones you require.
- After removal of batteries, place the new batteries inside the compartment.
- You can then start reconstructing it by placing the faceplate and closing the battery compartment.
- Once the new batteries are installed, you can start up the thermostat again.
- Ensure that all your previous settings are still in place and you are good to go.
- Go through the menu and setting tab to ensure your settings.
With all this done your thermostat should now start working perfectly. Keep an eye on the indicators mentioned above to stay aware of the state of your Honeywell thermostat. If you need further details you can always call the manufacturer.